Sunday, March 7, 2010

You might wonder how someone is able to take a peek at the Dalai Lama is his personal residence in India.

It just a matter of good timing, the right place and a good seat. The Dalai Lama lives in a small town called Mcleod Ganj, at a temple complex for a few weeks out of the year. He has a few different homes around the world and stays at these while speaking. I happened to visit this town, which I didn't know he lived. I happened to be in town when he was speaking. So I walked down the road and went through the security check, sat down on the steps and waited amongst the faithful.

A second closed room would be used for his talks, but the open courtyard is for puplic audience. The man walks through the courtyard and up a flight of steps. I didn't get a chance to sit and contemplate buddhism over tea... But I did see the greying of his hair, and his distinctive half smile.

My encounter was brief, but I could feel his presence and the power he had over his followers. I was star struck for the first time in my life. Meeting some movie star doesn't really do it for me. But the Dalai Lama is just different.

Thats my story. Wish I could say we had a lifechanging talk. But a quick glimpse was pretty cool anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment