Thursday, February 4, 2010

So its been a few days since my last update and I have lots to say. First I should re cap the last few days in Arambol. John and I have met up with some of the people we met in Mumbai, a chance meeting in the small town. So our wolfpack has grown to 6. Lol Tamara (germany), Lola (Quebec), Kat (England), and Paula (Italy). One of my favorite times spent there was the sunset festival. A daily event taking place down the beach from the resorts. Nearly 70 or 80 people meet in this location each evening to watch the set and play music. Some practive their juggling, or hulla hoop, others dance and sing. This meeting in unorganized and unstructured. I joined in the fun by singing along. I donated my guitar to be used by Tamara, a friend that actually knows how to play. The songs just flow and evolve as people add a new sound as the jam session emerges. It was really a magical, once in a life time experience, so much so, that I went for a second night the next day. So twice in a life time I suppose.

The rest of the days in beach paradise were very much the same as those described in my last post. I gave myself near sun stroke one day and spent our last day in the shade, avoiding the sun and drinking lots of water. I attended another yoga session in the morning on the day we planned to travel. Then we hit the rails once again.

A short train ride for 20 rupees took us into Old Goa to see a church. Quite a grand church, but not much of an excitment for me. Its hard to see the granduer of a hundred year old building after seeing 2500 year old cave temples carved entirely by hand over 700 hundred years. But still we spent some time and I lit some candles for a few people who I think need it. Even if I don’t really believe in the candle lighting myself, those who do may feel that energy? Maybe it helps? Who knows..

The day went on in the blistering heat, all the more intense without the relief of the beach. We made it through town, and took a taxi onwards to Panjim, where we planned to find a train to Hampi. This nice plan was blow out of the water when we learned no trains were headed there until morning. So our alternative is the bus. We made it into town, found the bus and were lucky to book the last four tickets out of town. Tamara and Kat didn’t join us at this point of the trip, as Tamara was having a stomach issue and decided to ride it out back in Arambol, Kat stayed for support. So the remaining four of us ventured on. The last four seats on this private overnight bus were only seats. No sleeper cabins available for us. I would have to say that night was one of the worst rides of my life.

Hot, sticky, shaking and very uncomfortable. My leg room infront of me was zero, I had to kick them off to the side in the aisle, and lay sideways to attempt any sleep. The roads are fairly bumpy and the curves cause you the shift in the seat. I slept in 20 minute fits, on and off throughout the long long night. The sceduled 9 hours turned into more than 14, and by the time we arrived to town I was so exhausted and cranky. The poor rickshaw drivers trying to haggle for a good price met the worst side of Tommy. Unable to deal with the hoard of taxi drivers trying to rip me off, I just said no, go away, not now, leave me alone. Not in the nicest of tones. We found a decent price as ther crowd of other travellers thinned out. I was particularly rude to one guy, who quoted us 150, then as the crowds came and went, he finally reduced to the normal 35. I told him that he could take us for half price and I wouldn’t give him the business cause he’s a cheater. He kept trying, I said no, not with you. We went with his competition. I’m very frustrated with the scams and rip offs.

But by the time we got to town and found the hotel we were recommended, the grief wore away instantly, and I felt bad for being so mean to that driver. I suppose it his only chance to make as much money as he can for the day. His need to a few extra rupees, is much greater than my need to save a buck. But still, if he had said 50 from the start, maybe he would have gotten the fare, instead he sat in his empty taxi cause he was greedy. Tough balance I suppose.
So we were recommended this hotel from Mike, the Scottish guy who gave me the guitar, and I’ve thanked him already for the advice. The place is just beautiful. The staff are very friendly and kind, great food and a comfortable area to hang out.

Last night after we settled in, we ventured out into the boulder strewn landscape to watch the sunset from a nice perch in the hills. It was one of the best sunsets i’ve seen. The moon is rising later in the night these days so the stars are bright and the sky is clear. I have some amazing pictures to post but the connection here is dead slow, and I can’t take the time right now. So I will have to wait to show you all.

I slept in today, and did not morning exercise. I was dead to the world after the terrible bus trip, but I have been staying strong with no booze, and no smokes. I did alot of working out and yoga last week. Feeling great and staying healthy. A Hike later today, and I might lead the group through some yoga :)

Hanging around seems to be the thing to do here. Later, as the heat dies down, I think I’ll go climb some rocks, or see the monkey temple. Tough choice, tough life. A week here, and a week to get to my yoga retreat. Thats the plan for now, I’ll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. Bro!

    I just wanted to let you know that you are in my thoughts...hope you are staying good! Reading your blog brought tears to my eyes (for real); you are a great writer and I thank you for sharing your journey with everyone here in Canada and know that you should be very proud of yourself :) Stay safe in your travels, and I look forward to reading more about your adventures.

    Take and Give Care,

    Reena

    ps. Happy (belated) Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading about your adventures my friend. Ruby enjoys too! I look forward to reading your updates and seeing your photos. When you get home, we will sit over mugs of chai tea and you can tell us stories of your journey. I miss having you around but I have gotten used to having the place to myself. You may have to move upstairs when you get home. Miss you and love you.

    Be well
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete