Saturday, February 6, 2010

These are the people of Hampi. I spent the day wandering around the town, taking my time to sit and watch the world pass by.
The people love to be photographed. This experience of capturing these faces was one of the most amazing things i have ever done. I was so happy to enter into the lives of these people for the short time.

This young girl and her sister at the bottom came to greet me as I took a picture of the colourful house next door. As I sat and chatted the entire family came out of the house to laugh and play, take pictures and chat. They were so kind and warm, bowing in prayer hands, and posing for pictures effortlessly.

The Bannana plantation owner. Eager to explain th entire process of bannana farming. He was happy to pose patiently for this portrait. The years of field work can be seen in his eyes.
This beggar woman and son approached me, and I hesitated asking for a photo. But I gave some rupees and decided that this is part of the city. A reality of this life. So by not capturing this side of India, I am essentially censoring the world.
Just perfect light, and such calm expression. This could never be set up or posed, just the result of sitting and talking for an hour in a temple. Getting to know one another mostly through sign language and hand gestures.

These eyes are like steel. I would not want this grandmother angry at me.
This is Raju. He is the Elephant handler. I woke up early this morning to watch Lakshmi the elephant be wached. I followed the animal back to the temple, and watched this man paint symbols and art on the thick skin. After asking, I took a portrait of his young daughter, and was invited into the home to sit and meet the rest of the clan. I was given some dosa, and urged to sit and chat. The painter came into the house and i captured this interaction with his little girl. A magical place, just amazing.
These Saddu's are travelling holy men. Devoted to a simple life of meditation, thought and prayer. A few rupees are required for this photo and it kind of ruins the mystique. Just another example of organized profit of religion. :S but a very cool picture for 20 cents.
This is the elephant washer. He guided Lakshmi to the river for her wash. An amazing feat, walking a huge animal down the steep steps.
I really just like this guys mustache.
This was a really great day for me. I broke away from the group and explored the city slowly, taking the time to chat with anyone who approached me. This slow method of interaction separated me a little from the other tourists, all eager to get to each temple on the list. I was happy just seeing the few I did, and for the people I met along the way. I love Hampi. A gem of India. I hope you like these pictures. I was experimenting with portraits, and playing with the lens Jessica gave me.
Miss you all. Thanks for the support. Love.









4 comments:

  1. Your journey is truly amazing and I love seeing the photographs you are taking. You somehow manage to capture the "life" in every photo be it a person or your surroundings. The first thing I do every morning is turn on my computer to check to see if there are any new additions to the blog. Keep exploring and enjoy the adventure.
    Stay safe
    Love, Aunt Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was scrolling down your beautiful portraits, I got excited when you talked about Lakshmi and I thought that you might post a photo of the elephant OR even better, a pic of you with Lakshmi. Did you take one?
    Did you enjoy the homemade dosa? I think that it is wonderful that these people welcome you into their homes and share their food with you. What an adventure!
    Looking forward to your next post! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom

    Some fantastic shots here. Your patient and thoughtful approach to the people translates beautifully into the photos. Nice job.

    My two favourites. The girl with her sister in the background. What amazing eyes! The stern grandmother. I think I would have been too intimidated to even ask her if I could take a shot.

    Keep the posts coming. I look forward to them everyday.

    Uncle Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello luvie,,was thinking about your adventures and the tales you will be able to share with Lily...such a great power of example of how one can live their dreams.
    Be well, love Aunt Heather

    ReplyDelete