Monday, January 25, 2010

So I have left the big smog laden city and have travelled by train to Aurungabad, a small transit city which give access to the caves of elora and Ajanta. I have lots to update but want to share something important to me first. I have come to India not just to see the sights and absorb to culture, I have come to attain personal growth and make changes to my world. I unfortunately smoke. I Drink like many others my age, weekends, a few at wings, I smoke a bit of pot aswell, I eat meat too often and exercise infrequently. This is not far off from my of my friends, and most of the western world. We have So much and do so little good for ourselves. This trip is about change.. Today is day 5 of no cigarettes. The hardest thing in my life so far, the biggest on going struggle is smoking. But here is was easy. I just stopped. I also have not drank in those five days. smoking pot is easy, cause its not available and would rather not risk indian Jail. I havn't eaten meat in this country. An easy task in india, but a challenge all the same for a carnivore such as myself. This Detox will continue for the remaining 2 and 3/4 months. I want to challenge myself and want to feel the effects of clean living. I Will implement these positive changes in my home life, but will not deprive myself of the things I enjoy. A hamburger and beer is one of lives greatest gifts, and one that I will surely endulge upon my return. I will however remember the energy and strength I feel now, and make adjustments accordingly. I am Happy. I have also made an effort to rise one hour before my travel partner, I run for 30 minutes each day, and take time to exercise and stretch each morning. Ok, Enough about that.

Let me tell you about what has happened since the 21st..
I should back peddle a little and say that I bought 2 full suits. Jacket, pants, and shirt, two different styles, each tailored to my liking for 240 dollars Canadian. Ha. I love this place.
So the last few days.. Oh man where to start. How about Indian Trains. What a gong show. A complete and utter nut house. People sit in open door ways, and stand throughout the aisle. There are twice as many tickets sold than there are seats, so the lanes are packed. It was so nice to be away from the street people, to hustle, the sales, and the beggars. These were the working class people of the country. No one was interested in making money off of me, but all were curious and interested in my name, my country, my job, my girlfriend. I spend 6 hours talking with different people as seats were shifted, and places swapped. I spoke about Buddhism with one man for over an hour, so amazing to engage in conversations with true followers and devoties. This is where you really meet the people of india, and this is where you get a sense of the hospitality of this nation. A man who makes less a day than I do in an hour handed me a handmade sweet th size of a hockey puck. He spoke nearly no english, but was listening to a conversation I was having on the brief train stop. He was so happy to give me this candy, anything small he could give to say he welcomes me to his home. I didn't really want it :S so at the final destination the first two young beggar boys got a special treat instead of rupees.

I called Jessica Today. That was tough. I feel the full effect of being away from her when I hear her voice. When I read e-mails its tough. I think when I'm moving around and seeing sights, talking to new people I'm distracted. When I am alone just, me and the computer, or her voice on the phone, My heart hurts. But as they say, distance makes the heart grow fonder. And as Jessica's blog quote says so well, a Love that has been tested by distance and struggle, and passed, is true love. Or something like that :) Ok, back to travels.

Umm, Elora caves.. What can I say? 2500 year old caves carved out of solid, volcanic rock, bigger than my house, 40 feet straight into the ground, carved over a period of 700 years, all for the devotion of God. Or in the Hindu sense, Gods. The pictures I took would do not justice, and would not give a perspective of the magnitude of these structures, but you may notice to detail and intricacy of the carving, done entirly with hand tools. I really have no words to describe this place, you will have to see it for yourself :)

I want to just write a little about India life. I wrote in my journal the other day while sitting at a restaurant alone, I relfected on the history of each building. Everywhere you look seems to be 50 years old with no renovations since. The paint is peeling on every wall, the tables are worn down to the bare undersurface, the table legs are rusted. This is the case with almost every place you enter. I wonder what these places were like many years ago, when they were new. Its like time forgot this place. In many ways, it seems like going back in time 40 years. For lunch a typical dish is nann bread and some kind of sauce, or rice. Chai tea is more like coffee with lots of milk, and very sweet. Channa Masalla is chick peas in sauce, served with roti. This meal with tea costs me less than 1 dollar. 43 rupees make one Canadian dollar. However, despite my ability to buy my way through a country, as I could easily afford a personal driver to take me to the caves, for just 700 rupees, he would wait all day, take me door to door. This inexpensive service would take me away from the people. The real india. So instead, John and I take the public bus for 20 rupees. 50 cents takes us the same place, but we are surrounded by the same curious, honest people found on the trains.

I met a scottish mate named Mike. A musician travelling alone for his school holiday for 3 weeks. He and two English girls joined John and I the next day to see Ajanta Caves. So the same thing, this time 70 rupess to travel 3 hours, 133 kms, for under 2 dollars. Less than bus fair to go further than hamilton. Well, this bus is jsut as packed, maybe more, bumping along the dusty roads. The highways are nuts. Two lanes are four, bikes, and busses, cars and cows, all share the same space. Horn blare as people pass, tucking back into traffic at the last impossible second. The street traffic is even tighter. At any given time you could reach out and touch the car next to you while keeping you elbow inside. Anyway, Mike is leaving tomorrow, to go back home. He was playing his guitar when I mention that I was interested in maybe finding one, and learning a few chords. This guy, who I knew for 2 hours at the time said since he was leaving, he was planning to leave the second hand cheap guitar at the air port. He gave it to me. He also spent an hour teaching me some chords. So No I have a guitar. I'm gonna try to learn a song before I come home. My fingers already hurt.

This is already a huge entry for the last few days, I hope its not too long, thanks for reading. Keep sending e-mail, I love to hear about the country I call home, what are you doing with your life? Whats the weather like?
buddyjoe16@hotmail.com

I'm off tonight to head back to Mumbai.. Grr. But its only one night of smog and dirt before we arrive in the paradise beaches of Goa. I'll let you know how the beaches go :)

No comments:

Post a Comment